Date: 5/13/18 12:01 pm
From: Katie Fallon <katie...>
Subject: Morgantown Migratory Bird Day Report
Saturday, May 12, was the Avian Conservation Center of Appalachia's
7th Annual Morgantown Migratory Bird Day celebration. We had a great time!
It was our best-attended MMBD to date -- we had between 45 and 50 people
for the early bird walk on the Raven Rock Trail, and every seat was filled
in the pavilion for our live raptor presentations (especially the
early presentation -- people were sitting on the benches, the floor, on the
walls, etc, It was difficult to get an accurate count, but definitely more
than 100 people.) We had a "Bird Bingo" walk around the overlook area for
kids, and we split into four groups because there were so many interested
kids and parents. I'm sure the gorgeous weather helped with the success of
the event!

The early bird walk was lead by Chris Lituma, Caden Haines, Paul Shaw, and
myself, with assistance from Ethan Schnell, Hillary Shane, PJ Murray, Chris
Rota, and several other excellent birders in attendance. We broke into four
groups, but my group and Paul's group merged when a cerulean warbler was
heard in the direction that both of our groups were heading.

We had amazing looks at a male and a female cerulean -- one of my best
looks at a female cerulean, ever. She was foraging low along the trail
while the male sang high in a tree overhead. Cerulean warbler was a life
bird for most of our group members, including a birder who had traveled to
West Virginia from Vermont in the hopes of seeing a cerulean -- there were
a lot of happy people!

We also had great looks at Blackburnian, hooded, and black-and-white
warblers, American redstarts, ovenbirds, and scarlet tanagers. We also had
a quick glimpse at a bay-breasted warbler and a heard-only Nashville
warbler.

Thank you again to our bird walk leaders, and to everyone who came out to
our local celebration of World Migratory Bird Day. We hope you'll join us
on May 11, 2019, for next year's celebration! For photos from the event,
please visit the ACCA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ACCAWV/

I don't have eBird lists from the other Raven Rock groups, but the eBird
list from my group is below. Also below is our list of birds seen and heard
near the overlook pavilion during the festivities - highlight was a bald
eagle flyover, viewed by several children during the Bird Bingo walk:

Cooper's Rock SF--trails w. of Raven Rock Trail, Monongalia, West Virginia,
US
May 12, 2018 6:57 AM - 9:14 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.486 mile(s)
Comments: Morgantown Migratory Bird Day walk!
33 species

Wild Turkey 1 Crossed the road just beyond the Raven Rock parking lot
Turkey Vulture 2
Broad-winged Hawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 3
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 2
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Wood Thrush 1
American Robin 2
Ovenbird 4
Black-and-white Warbler 2
Nashville Warbler 1 Heard only
Common Yellowthroat 2
Hooded Warbler 5
American Redstart 4
Cerulean Warbler 3 One of my best looks ever at a female -- foraging
very low in the brush while a male sang overhead
Northern Parula 1
Bay-breasted Warbler 1
Blackburnian Warbler 2
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Black-throated Green Warbler 3
Chipping Sparrow 1
Field Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 3
Scarlet Tanager 3 Beautiful looks, including a male and female
foraging together
Indigo Bunting 1
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
American Goldfinch 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45580598

Coopers Rock St. Forest--Picnic/Overlook area, Monongalia, West Virginia, US
May 12, 2018 9:45 AM - 1:35 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Birds seen & heard around the pavilion during Morgantown
Migratory Bird Day
22 species

Turkey Vulture 3
Bald Eagle 1
Chimney Swift 5
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 3
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 4
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
American Robin 2
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Chipping Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee 1
Northern Cardinal 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45601960

Katie Fallon

President, *Avian Conservation Center of Appalachia*
President, *Mountaineer Chapter of the National Audubon Society*

286 Fairchance Road
Morgantown, WV 26508
(304) 906-5438
http://www.accawv.org
http://www.facebook.com/ACCAWV/
http://www.mountaineeraudubon.org
http://www.katiefallon.com

*To conserve wild birds through scientific research; education and public
outreach; and rescue and rehabilitation*

Join us on Facebook!