Date: 5/13/18 11:48 am
From: Larry Meade via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Clarks's Crossing Park in Vienna, Fairfax County: Warblers and more

I decided to do my Bluebird trail late this morning after the rain stopped. The trail is at Clark's Crossing Park in Vienna and can be done as a loop traveling down the W&OD Trail and then coming back down a trail that you can enter at the equestrian field. This trail goes through the woods and along a creek. I had an excellent walk with 46 species in just under two hours. It began with a pair of female Bobolinks foraging on the soccer field. Later I found a flock of Cedar Waxwings. The best birds were in the woods, however. I found several warblers including a Mourning, two Canadas, a Black and White, and three Black-throated Blues. I also heard a Scarlet Tanager and Acadian Flycatchers. The Bluebirds and Tree Swalllows were also busy with nine active nests between them. Two nests had Bluebird babies. I also finally saw my first Tiger Swallowtail butterfly of the year.

Larry Meade
Vienna, VA