Date: 5/13/18 11:41 am
From: <rlshonkw...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Jackson Park SBC results
18 participants took part in the Jackson Park portion of the SBC on 5 May. The majority birded the Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow area, while Paul Clyne and myself covered the North Lake Front, 63rd Street Beach, the Inner and Outer Harbors and the Golf Course. Later I spent a few hours checking out Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow to see if I could find anything missed and to see any good birds seen earlier. I also checked the 59th Street promontory for a HENSLOW'S SPARROW seen in the early morning by Paul, but I had no luck (would have been a park lifer). It wasn't a particularly birdy day but this made it easier to count birds. 104 species were recorded on the day. The dominant migrants were DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS (523), PALM WARBLERS (241), I had 119 in WI/BM alone, and blackbirds. Highlights for Paul and I were a 1st spring male SUMMER TANAGER and BLUE-HEADED VIREO on the east golf course and a heard only N. PARULA, 2 COMMON TERNS along Lake Michigan by the Outer Harbor, and on Wooded Island we saw a male BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER and watched an amusing scene of a male RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD harassing a WARBLING VIREO, buzzing around it like a bee, then chasing it out of the tree! There were 5 CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS seen, with 1 at 63rd Street Beach found by Paul, another at the Inner Harbor, then I found 3 in WI/BM with 2 near the Purple Martin boxes and another near the 59th Street pedestrian underpass. While Paul and I were checking other areas the Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow crew were seeing warblers, including BAY-BREASTED, BLACKBURNIAN, CHESTNUT-SIDED, BLACKPOLL WARBLERS and, best bird of the day, a CERULEAN WARBLER seen north of Wooded Island. Unfortunately for me I didn't find any of these in the afternoon. Biggest miss on the day: Killdeer! Below is the full list of birds and their numbers for the count.

Canada Goose 53
Wood Duck 3
Mallard 25
Blue-winged Teal 2