Date: 5/13/18 11:27 am
From: Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold...>
Subject: Johnson County Warblers: BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER and WORM-EATING WARBLER
Terry Swope and I met early this morning at Tomahawk Park in Leawood after
dreaming of Warblers all night. From the parking lot as I had a female
Painted Bunting, and along the southeast trail (from the parking lot) we
found a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher and a pair of Blackburnian Warbler among
a few others. Heading southwest from the parking lot we ran into Nancy Leo,
Alice Cherry, Jennifer Hammett, and Dana Henry Martin who were watching a
Canada Warbler. They had a Magnolia earlier that morning that Terry and I
missed, but as a large group we had a pair of singing Mourning Warblers
further south along the tail and ran into Corey Entriken.

After sharing our sightings with the three small groups, together we
decided to walk back and try for the Blackburnian Warbler again as a
potential lifer. Back in the parking lot, Anne Leduc joined us and was the
eighth and final member of the morning impromptu gathering. Back along the
south east trail, the entire group got nice looks at a Blackburnian Warbler
and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. Nancy Leo spotted a fairly drab greenish
warbler and once the bird turned she could see the wing white square at the
base of the primary flight feathers, a BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER! After
significant attempts to relocate the bird, we gave up as it did not show
well for the entire group. Approximate location was 38.907172, -94.631820.

Dana, Anne, and myself went to Leawood City Park afterwards hoping to find
a Northern Waterthush. Instead we happened upon a WORM-EATING WARBLER on
the mountain bike trails just north of College Avenue approximately 100
yards west of the water run off ditch. Approximate location was 38.929276,
-94.620305. Mary Sue and Bill Akin had a Black-throated Green in the same
area. Between the 10 birders the two parks held 20 warbler species this
morning!

Good Birding,

Malcolm Gold
(Overland Park, Johnson County, Kansas)