Date: 5/13/18 11:29 am
From: Karen And Jim Rowe <00000131a1cf8fbc-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Killing Black Vultures
Unfortunately vulture depredation on vehicles is a real problem in certain parts of the state. Vultures, likely from a vulture roost located not far from a popular fishing lake in the state, have done thousands of dollars of damage to cars and trucks parked at the lake. The vultures “explore” the parked vehicles, discover the soft body parts of the dead vehicle and begin ripping off the windshield wipers and rubber window strips possibly in an effort to discover if they are edible.

Sadly, Black Vultures, which forage by sight not smell as Turkey Vultures do, have found that not only is a cow afterbirth a source of food but the calves themselves may also be a good source. Yes they will feed on stillborn calves, but Black Vultures also check out newly born calves by repeatedly pecking on and in their body openings (eyes, nose, mouth, ears, anus) and damage the newborn calf to the point it must be euthanized.

Both these problems have been well documented. Arkansas’ state office of the USDA Animal Plant Inspection Service - Wildlife Services investigates migratory bird depredation issues and when needed, recommends to the USFWS that a depredation permit be issued. Permits cost landowners $100.

In TN and KY, the Farm Bureau acts as an intermediary. Working with both federal agencies, the Farm Bureau receives a small number of Black Vulture Depredation permits which they issue for free to a limited number of ranchers experiencing severe problems.

Karen Rowe AGFC

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 13, 2018, at 12:42 PM, George R. Hoelzeman <vogel...> wrote:
>
> There's an article in the current (Spring 2018) Arkansas Agriculture magazine about Black Vultures by Keith Sutton. It rehashes the usual stuff about them killing calves but goes on to talk about them tearing up vehicles, etc., which I've never heard (not that I hear much). The article provides information on one form of non-lethal prevention (pyrotechnics, which gets about two sentences) then launches into an extended discussion about depredation permits and the need to relax regulations so people can pretty much kill them at leisure.
>
> So, questions: Has anyone else seen this article? If so, how much of it is valid and how much is just "agitating the base". Some of this seems rather over the top (like 50+ vultures mobbing a cow during delivery) and a lot seems more about weakening the Migratory Bird Act. The article does reference a statistic from the USDA on damage to cattle caused by vultures ($4.65 million/year) so it has the appearance of legitimacy.
>
> Before I go arguing the vultures' case (I happen to like Black Vultures, but haven't had to deal with them in numbers) I'd like solid and reliable information.
>
> Input anyone?
>
> Thanks
>
> George (n. Conway Co. with nesting vultures, but no roost and no cattle)

Join us on Facebook!