Date: 5/13/18 10:53 am
From: Vickie Becker <vhbecker...>
Subject: Re: Killing Black Vultures
Vultures have been known to damage vehicles. My husband and I were visiting the Everglades several years ago, and we were warned by a ranger that the vultures there (don’t know if black or turkey) had decided it was fun to pull off the rubber stripping around car windshields. The rangers were telling people to put tarps over their cars, if they had them. They didn’t know then why the vultures were doing it. I’ve never heard of it happening around Arkansas.

Good luck with your inquiries. I hate to see anything killed, especially useful critters like vultures, and especially for no good reason.

Vickie H Becker
110 E Center St, #1460
Madison, SD 57042

501-508-0984
<Vhbecker...>

On May 13, 2018, at 12:42 PM, George R. Hoelzeman <vogel...> wrote:

There's an article in the current (Spring 2018) Arkansas Agriculture magazine about Black Vultures by Keith Sutton. It rehashes the usual stuff about them killing calves but goes on to talk about them tearing up vehicles, etc., which I've never heard (not that I hear much). The article provides information on one form of non-lethal prevention (pyrotechnics, which gets about two sentences) then launches into an extended discussion about depredation permits and the need to relax regulations so people can pretty much kill them at leisure.

So, questions: Has anyone else seen this article? If so, how much of it is valid and how much is just "agitating the base". Some of this seems rather over the top (like 50+ vultures mobbing a cow during delivery) and a lot seems more about weakening the Migratory Bird Act. The article does reference a statistic from the USDA on damage to cattle caused by vultures ($4.65 million/year) so it has the appearance of legitimacy.

Before I go arguing the vultures' case (I happen to like Black Vultures, but haven't had to deal with them in numbers) I'd like solid and reliable information.

Input anyone?

Thanks

George (n. Conway Co. with nesting vultures, but no roost and no cattle)

Join us on Facebook!