Date: 5/13/18 10:17 am
From: Marc Ribaudo via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Occoquan Bay NWR, glossy ibis, warblers
After the rain stopped this morning I went to Occoquan Bay NWR in Woodbridge. I walked the loop of Fox Road to Deephole Point Road to the banding station, blind, Painted Turtle Pond, and back to the parking lot via the main drive. Lots of activity after the rain, as I had hoped. Highlights were the previously reported glossy ibises flying over and 15 warbler species (northern waterthrush, black-and-white, prothonotary, common yellowthroat, redstart, parula, magnolia, bay-breasted, yellow, chestnut-sided, blackpoll, black-throated blue, yellow-rumped, prairie, and Wilson's). Most were along the stretch between the banding station and Painted Turtle Pond. The Wilson's was very obliging and allowed some photos. The 2 bay-breasteds came out of the treetops and were in the understory, allowing great views. The chestnut-sided warbler was doing a fair version of a magnolia warbler song, and the magnolia I saw was imitating a hooded. It sometimes pays to track things down. A
lso seen were veery, Swainson's thrush, and yellow-billed cuckoo. I tallied 69 species in all.

Marc Ribaudo
<moribaudo...>