Date: 5/13/18 7:11 am
From: nic korte <nkorte1...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] yard Solitaire--Clark's Grebe at Vega
This morning my Hawthorne tree produced another interesting species for central Grand Junction. A Townsend's Solitaire was feeding on last winter's remnant of berries that are still clinging.

Yesterday, as part of the Migratory Bird Day effort, Doug and Laura Johnston and I birded NE Mesa County-essentially Vega Lake and east. High winds seemed to put a lot of things down, especially on the higher parts of our route as swallows were almost absent. Our best bird at Vega Lake was a single Clark's Grebe. Vega Lake, which two weeks ago had extensive mudflats, is now full.

We managed to coax a response from a single Fox Sparrow near the Buzzard/Muddy divide and Mule Park, but otherwise, the most impressive features were the wind and how dry already are the extensive wetlands in the area.

Nic Korte

Join us on Facebook!