Date: 5/12/18 7:37 pm
From: Than Boves <tboves...>
Subject: New Prey Item for Loggerhead Shrikes
Thought I would share this completely unexpected/humorous observation from this morning. Before heading out into the field for some research in southern Louisiana, I saw a loggerhead shrike in the parking lot of the Best Western in Port Allen. It was sitting on a fence next to some House Sparrows. The shrike followed a couple sparrows down into the lot and landed next to some discarded food. It then reached down and grabbed a FULL piece of bacon and carried it to a nearby shrubby tree. It then proceeded to impale/wrap the bacon around a branch like a living prey item! Amazing. Check out the photo of the larder bacon on our Facebook page (@BovesLabAState).

Than
Than J. Boves
Assistant Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Arkansas State University, Jonesboro, AR
Website: http://boveslab.com
Facebook: @BovesLabAState

Join us on Facebook!