Date: 5/12/18 6:40 pm
From: Jeff Bilsky <jbilsky...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US (24 warbler sp)
Bad weather = good birding.
Despite some rain pelting me and the birds, there was a huge amount of
activity. 24 warbler species with the definite personal highlight being a
MOURNING WABLER that gave brief, accommodating looks before skulking away,
like they do. With this same little sub-group, I picked out a CANADA
WARBLER, a BAY-BREASTED and a couple of BLACKPOLLS. Lots of thrushes around
as well - singing WOOD THRUSHES and a handful of VEERY'S. Enjoyed watching
a PROTHONOTARY WARBLER foraging in the rain (video:
https://flic.kr/p/24kNRMG).
BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS have returned - also had my FOY RUBY-THROATED
HUMMINGBIRD. Amongst the many warblers, far more females are coming through
now. Shorebirds included the standard SPOTTED and SOLITARY with one LEAST
SANDPIPER to add something new to the mix. A couple of male SCARLET
TANAGERS lit up the forest as well.

Rain slogged photos of the Mourning and Canada are included with the list
as are a couple of others.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45607545

Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
May 12, 2018 4:55 PM - 7:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.41 mile(s)
67 species