Date: 5/12/18 5:54 pm
From: Elton Morel via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] NVBC walk at Aquia Landing Park and Crow's Nest NAP, Stafford county, May 12, 2018

VA Birders:
This morning, the Northern Virginia Bird Club conducted a walk at Aquia Landing Park in Stafford county.  A sharp-eyed David Ledwith found two really good birds for us.  First, was a WILSON'S WARBLER in the shrubs at the far western end of the picnic grounds and the second was a late migrating AMERICAN PIPIT that was found and photographed on the beach on the east side of the entrance road. Other good finds were a singing but very skulky KENTUCKY WARBLER at the junction of the entrance road and Thorny Point Road, a Blackpoll Warbler, a White-eyed Vireo, a Laughing Gull and two Bonaparte's Gulls, many Orchard Orioles and Yellow Warblers, and amongst the many Red-eyed Vireos, we had one cooperative individual who was more interested in singing than feeding and in so doing gave us nice photographic opportunities.
We then made our way over to Crow's Nest Natural Area Preserve along Brooke Road where we added a few more species to the morning's list such as Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Acadian Flycatcher, Ovenbird, Great Egret, Wood Thrush, Swainson's Thrush and a female Blue Grosbeak.
In all, we collectively found 65 species on our morning walk despite the rapidly rising heat.
The complete eBird checklists for both locations are listed below.
Elton Morel,Arlington, Virginia

Aquia Landing Park, Stafford, Virginia, US
May 12, 2018 7:20 AM - 10:25 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: NVBC walk led by David Ledwith and Elton Morel
52 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 2
Mute Swan 2 Residents
Bufflehead 1 Flyby, male
Double-crested Cormorant 4
Great Blue Heron 1
Osprey 8
Bald Eagle 1
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Bonaparte's Gull 2
Laughing Gull 2
Ring-billed Gull 25
Herring Gull 1
Mourning Dove 3
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker 1 Heard only
Northern Flicker 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Eastern Kingbird 4
flycatcher sp. (Tyrannidae sp.) 1
White-eyed Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 6
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 2 Heard only
Fish Crow 8
Tree Swallow 1
Barn Swallow 8
Carolina Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 5
Carolina Wren 4 Heard only
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3
Wood Thrush 1 Heard only
Gray Catbird 1
Brown Thrasher 2
Northern Mockingbird 1
American Pipit 1 Found on the beach. Heard the 'slip-it' call a few times as well.
Kentucky Warbler 1 Found at the entrance to the park, mostly on the Thorny Point Road side of the entrance intersection. Mostly heard singing, a few brief looks.
Common Yellowthroat 8
American Redstart 2
Northern Parula 2
Yellow Warbler 10
Blackpoll Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 1 Found in the shrubbery at the far west end of the picnic grounds.
Song Sparrow 3
Scarlet Tanager 1
Northern Cardinal 12
Indigo Bunting 2
Orchard Oriole 8
Baltimore Oriole 2 Heard only
Red-winged Blackbird 35
Common Grackle 15
American Goldfinch 10

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45583359

Crow's Nest Natural Area Preserve, Stafford, Virginia, US
May 12, 2018 10:35 AM - 12:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: NVBC walk led by David Ledwith and Elton Morel
38 species (+1 other taxa)

Double-crested Cormorant 1
Great Blue Heron 3
Great Egret 1