Date: 5/12/18 5:03 pm
From: Bill Bickel via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Shenandoah Park and Falls Church back yard

Highlights of a two-day trip to Shenandoah Park Tues and Wed:

Stopped briefly at Thompson WMA on the way and saw a Kentucky warbler along the fire road not far from the parking area.

At Shenandoah we saw 3 Blackburnian warblers, 2 male and 1 female, foraging together. Later saw a 4th male at Rapidan Camp area, along with 2 Canada warblers. Lots of Ceruleans present along the Bluff trail to Big Devil Stairs.

In our back yard today, we spent a lot of time waiting to see what would come in to our pondless waterfall/stream, and saw the following at close range:

great crested flycatcher
brown thrasher
red-eyed vireo
blue headed vireo
northern parula
black and white
blackpoll (male and female)
black-throated blue (male and female)
yellow-rump
bay-breasted (came twice during the day, I of course missed it both times, but Janet saw)
redstarts/yellowstarts
tennessee (female, i think, really dull bird)
scarlet tanager (three males at once in the same tree by our patio)

Heard little or no song from most of these.

—Bill and Janet Bickel