Date: 5/12/18 4:45 pm
From: Rebecca Suomala <rsuomala2...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Odiorne Point SP, Rye, May 12, 2018
As part of NH Audubon's celebration of International Migratory Bird Day and the 100th anniversary of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, I led a field trip at Odiorne with help from Zeke Cornell. Contrary to the forecast last night, it was sunny but with a cool north wind that kept some bird activity down and meant the rain pants I put on at 4:30 am were still somewhat useful. We had 63 species and the full eBird report is below. A crew from NH Public Radio joined us to record a segment for their Radio Field Trips program so watch for that in the future (possibly at noon on Wednesday).

Top birds were:

Brant 8

Lesser Black-backed Gull adult on a rock in Little Harbor

Swainson's Thrush

Becky Suomala

Concord, NH

Odiorne Point SP, Rye, Rockingham, New Hampshire, US
May 12, 2018 5:50 AM - 9:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: Becky Suomala led outing for NH Audubon's celebration of the Migratory Bird Treaty's centennial.
63 species (+1 other taxa)

Brant 8 migrating north in close proximity to a group of Double-crested Cormorants doing the same...
Canada Goose 3
Common Eider 89
Surf Scoter 1
White-winged Scoter 13
Long-tailed Duck 6
Red-breasted Merganser 7
Common Loon 18 most appeared to be migrating north--mostly in ones and twos...
Northern Gannet 1
Double-crested Cormorant 144 a few groups of 20ish heading north...
Great Blue Heron 1 flying out over the ocean...
Snowy Egret 1
Semipalmated Plover 2 dark back; short bill--orange with dark tip; orange legs; single, complete breast band...
Greater Yellowlegs 2
Willet 1
Herring Gull 16
Lesser Black-backed Gull 1
Great Black-backed Gull 2
Mourning Dove 7
Chimney Swift 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Least Flycatcher 2
Eastern Phoebe 3
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 6
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 10 one carrying nest material...
American Crow 8 calling; one with nesting material...
Fish Crow 4 heard calling...
crow sp. 3 no vocalization...
Tree Swallow 1
Barn Swallow 1