Date: 5/12/18 3:14 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach, State Line Beach, Illinois Beach South & Techny North Sat 5-12-18
Hello Bird People,

Hard rain last night may mean a shorebird day on the beaches. It did,
at least at Waukegan but no where else. At some of the places we went
we had Winter & late Fall birds & at others we had shorebirds &
warblers making it an interesting day. Bob Erickson, Andy Stewart &
Steve Mulhall were with at Waukegan & Bob stayed everywhere else
except Techny North which I did by myself.

Waukegan Beach (7:30-8:30 a.m.)

Rained the entire time we were here & quite hard at times. We made the
best of it.
I'll just do shorebirds & two land birds for this report.

BLACK BELLIED PLOVER (3, in full breeding plumage, very nice)
PIPING PLOVER (1, raining so hard we failed to get band info)
Spotted Sandpiper (2)
Sanderling (7)
Least Sandpiper (1)
RUDDY TURNSTONE (4, also looking very nice)
Dunlin (Groups of 24 & 15)
For land birds we heard one Marsh Wren & saw 4 European Goldfinches.

State Line Beach (9-9:15 a.m.)

Shorebirds were Killdeer (2) & Semipalmared Plover (2) but the big
surprise was an adult
GREAT BLACK BACKED GULL towering over all the other gulls & terns. Also had 42
Caspian Terns & about 15 Common Terns.

Illinois Beach South Unit (11:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)

Our Winter/Fall birding continued with a fly-by COMMON LOON, a
swimming HORNED GREBE
& one 1st/2nd year GLAUCOUS GULL on the beach. Also 8 Lesser Scaup
flew by going north & several Red Breasted Merganser were in the lake.

Warblers

In spite of not looking hard for these birds we still had 14 species &
the highlights were all at Illinois Beach South where we saw one each
GOLDEN WINGED WARBLER, BAY BREASTED WARBLER & CAPE MAY WARBLER.

Techny North (1:30-2 p.m.)

D.C.Cormorant (1-AD)
Black Crowned Night Heron (1-AD fly-by)
Canada Geese (2) & Mallard (18)
Semipalmated Plover (3)
Killdeer (4 with no young this time, hope they are o.k.)
Greater (2) & Lesser (6) Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper (2)
Spotted Sandpiper (6-7)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1)
Least Sandpiper (4)
(Peeps? 4)
SHORT BILLED DOWITCHER (7) (Again I could not look carefully at all 7
as it started to rain but I think all were Short Billed. Correct me if
I'm wrong)

If you add the one Snipe we had winnowing at Illinois Beach North Unit
I had 15 shorebird species for the day, a pretty good total for this
area.

This will be a tough one but I think I'll go with the Black Bellied
Plover as Bird-Of-The-Day as they REALLY looked good! Runners-Up were
many & included Piping Plover, Ruddy Turnstone, Great Black Backed &
Glaucous Gull & Golden Winged Warbler.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Saskatchewan which I had to hurry
to see what it was.
This was on the Edens.

Al Stokie
Mostly in Lake County today