Date: 5/12/18 2:48 pm
From: Paul Plotnick via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Warblers in Yard
Lucky man. In 1982, the year we moved in to our present home in Stamford,
and the following year, there were over two dozen warblers each May in the
maple trees in the woods in my backyard including Magnolia, Yellow-Rumped,
Tennessee, Nashville, Blue-Winged, Black-Throated Green, Blackburnian,
Black-Throated Blue and even a Cape May. I got a stiff neck from looking up
into the treetops trying to identify the various warblers flitting around
and giving their distinctive calls. Every year there were less and less and
by 1992, there were none save for an occasional Yellow-Rumped and one lone
Black-Throated Blue male who showed up at the feeder on October, 2016, hung
around for two days stoking up on sunflower hearts, and then departed for
the south. Either they're changing their migration patterns, avoiding areas
that have sprayed for West Nile virus, killing off insects the birds feed
on, or there are just many fewer warblers to go around. We have not seen or
heard a Red-Eyed Vireo, Pewee, Wood Thrush, or House Wren in our woods in
many years as well. Same for the lone box turtle that used to appear in our
yard, try to dig a hole for her eggs - she had none - and then crawl back
into the woods. Very sad.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>