Date: 5/12/18 2:29 pm
From: Marjorie Pries <mhpries...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Fwd: eBird Report - North Park Village Nature Center, Chicago, May 12, 2018
May 12, 2018 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: Unusually cold again. Gray all morning. No rain. Low density of birds and often far between good spots but very good sightings. Counts are accurate or close. X = many birds and/or too much movement to make a count.
45 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 9 - three pairs, one with three goslings.
Wood Duck 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Cooper's Hawk 2 - at and around a nest site
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Ring-billed Gull 3
Chimney Swift 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Blue Jay 1 - heard it only
American Crow 1
Tree Swallow X - many flying about. One pair nesting in hollow tree-hole
Black-capped Chickadee 1
House Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
Veery 1
Gray-cheeked Thrush 1
Swainson's Thrush X
Catharus sp. X
Wood Thrush 1 - heard, not seen
American Robin X
Gray Catbird 2
Golden-winged Warbler 2
Black-and-white Warbler 2
Kentucky Warbler 1 - Found moving between the ground and low branches in the wet woody area at the far west end of the pond as you enter the woods. No photos available but I and several others who are also fairly seasoned birders from Chicago Audubon got clear full side-face views. It flew within a few feet of us. This is at least the second year one has been spotted here.
Common Yellowthroat 4 - At least one seen, others heard in various locations
Magnolia Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Palm Warbler 1
Pine Warbler 1 - This one is debatable. I identified it as a Pine Warbler while I was observing it due to the overall size, shape, yellow underside, uniform upper color, wing streaks, etc. Others in the group weren't sure. There was debate about whether the undertail coverts were white enough / too yellow. It did not have the dark eyestreak of a blue-winged. Checking against field guides brought up female bay-breasted or female blackpoll as other possibilities. But there's a photo of a pine warbler in the Nature Center that seemed to match what we were seeing.
Chipping Sparrow 1
White-crowned Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 3
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 2 - Two females together feeding in trees
Indigo Bunting 2
Baltimore Oriole 1
Red-winged Blackbird X
Brown-headed Cowbird 3