Date: 5/12/18 1:57 pm
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Zapata Ranch report
A group of us had the pleasure of birding the Zapata Ranch this morning. We
were invited by John Sanderson of the Nature Conservancy and were tasked
with coming up with a daylist of birds in celebration of global bird day
and the year of the bird. The count was part of TNC trying to get all
properties globally birded at this time. So our bunch of folks (13 of
us) were VERY excited to help.

Around the headquarters, we were wowed by the beautiful colors of the
Lewis' Woodpeckers. Lesser Goldfinches added a splash of yellow. Bullock's
Orioles were about but hard to see. All 13 of the birders were avid birders
and were spotting things left and right. In a tree almost 1/2 an mile
away, a bird was spotted and scoped out to be an adult Peregrine Falcon. It
later did some aerial turns on the breezes and gave us a chance to see it
closer.

Then we birded the Medano Ranch. This is TNC property that may soon become
part of the Great Sand Dunes Park. We went to Cotten Lake and got a good
assortment of ducks, along with Long-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's Phalaropes,
American Avocets, and another Peregrine Falcon that was harassing the
shorebirds. At noon, we called it a day and had 63 species. Wonderful
day....

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO