Date: 5/12/18 11:10 am
From: Brandon Caswell <brandon.caswell83...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Swan Lake (Hawkeye WMA) this AM -- Johnson County Spring Count
Birders,

Diana Pesek and myself birded and counted today around Swan Lake, Hawkeye
WMA. We were thrilled to tally 20 species of warblers between the new and
the old parking lot further north (about a 150 yeard stretch)! We also had
as single Veery, Gray-cheeked Thrush and Swainson's Thrush was just about
everywhere you turned your head. Lots of Empidonax flycatchers as well!
When I left early we were well over 80 species.

I took a brief stop at Round Pond to find a Greater Yellowlegs, a distant
yellowlegs and a peep. I didn't do a thorough search, but it seemed that
most of the previously reported birds had left. I wish I had more time
though, it was very, very "birdy" around the pond! I ran into Jim F. and
Jim S. on the way out, so hopefully they had better luck with shorebirds.

I was not able to detect the Northern Mockingbird reported south of Gun
Club Ponds.

Good birding,
Brandon Caswell
Marion