Date: 5/12/18 8:34 am
From: Janet Millenson <janet...>
Subject: [MDBirding] All the young (avian) dudes
I've been reminded lately that confusing plumages aren't limited to
fall. The other day an Indigo Bunting visited my feeder -- and it had
brown bars on its wings, like a Blue Grosbeak. Huh? It was an immature
male. And this morning I saw a singing American Redstart that looked
like a sort of poorly-groomed female, with weird black spots on its
chest. Yup, another immature male. C'mon, guys, spring ID's are supposed
to be easy!

Further observations today will probably be made from indoors; the gnats
are ridiculous.

Janet Millenson
Potomac, MD (Montgomery County)
<janet...>