Date: 5/11/18 7:49 pm
From: Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Stone State Park and a little more
Woke up at 4:20am with plans to bird Stone State Park (SSP). Alas, it was
raining quite steadily so took a little longer snooze and waited for Tucker
Lutter to let me know when he was ready. 11:15 Tucker and I joined up
with some of Siouxland's finest--Jerry Probst, Bill Huser, Rob Towler (the
three amigos) . They had already seem 10+ specie of Warblers, calling
Eastern Whip-por-will and Barred Owl but things had fallen off
considerably. Plan B--head over to the north end (Plymouth County portions
of Stone State Park) to look for Cerulean, Golden-winged, and Pileated seen
there yesterday, but ALL mud and no birds. The three amigos headed for
some wetlands birding while Tucker and I headed back to SSP. Amazing what
30 minutes can do when migration is working overtime.
Highlights were 14 warbler species (81 individuals) which is a huge number
for Woodbury county (I think the three amigos had 17 species), five species
of Vireo (2 Philadelphia), and two flyover Pileated Woodpeckers. We are
pretty sure their are several nesting pairs around the park. It was not to
long ago that Pileated's were impossible to find in Woodbury.
Best bird of the the day was a Northern Mockingbird (Sand Lake south
Salix). Only the 2nd one that has been reported in the 14 years I have
been birding here (thanks to the three amigos).

102 species for the day--9 new year birds (209)--14 new year county birds
(191). The three amigos who braved the rain and dark had 134 for the day.

Best Woodbury spring ever for me--even though it has only been about a week
of migration here--Talk about an explosion of birds.

Hope to see all of you here next weekend.

God Bless,

*Paul O. Roisen*
*Woodbury County, IA*
*Mobile 712-301-2817*