Date: 5/11/18 7:17 pm
From: <treasurecreek...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] WRMC Eastern Butte County
We birded Vale-Newell-Newel Lake and back roads to Nisland today as part of the West River Migration Count. The weather was pretty soggy with fog/light rain in the morning and fairly heavy rain in the afternoon which made for muddy roads. We managed 75 species and 2089 birds. Several FOY birds for us in this area including American Avocet, Upland Sandpiper, Marbled Godwit, Least Sandpiper, Wilson’s Phalaropes, Least Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Tree-Violet Green-Cliff-Barn Swallows, Hermit Thrush, Bobolink, and Chestnut-collared Longspur. Sparrows were so thick in some places they were difficult to count. Raptors were scarce and we counted only 2 Red-tailed Hawks, 1 Peregrine Falcon, 3 Northern Harriers, and 1 Golden Eagle. Warblers were also scarce with only Orange-crowned, Yellow, and Yellow-rumped found.

Vic/Donna Fondy
605-269-2553

Join us on Facebook!