Date: 5/11/18 6:17 pm
From: <rlshonkw...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET JxP, Thursday, 10 May: 19 warbler sp., incl. Golden-winged
Since Saturday's weather doesn't look promising I birded Chicago's Jackson Park yesterday (Thursday) before work, covering Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow, the west side of the Inner Harbor and the west part of the golf course. Though the park wasn't overrun with birds, I managed to find 19 warbler species and 80 species over all.
The busiest spots were around the Darrow Bridge, in and around the Japanese Garden and the area just south of Wooded Island. East of the Darrow Bridge I had a female CAPE MAY WARBLER (FOY). I would later find 3 males getting a good photo of one south of the Japanese Garden. Also east of the bridge was the first of 4 male BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS. Within the Japanese Garden were a couple of MAGNOLIA WARBLERS, a female SCARLET TANAGER and a singing WILLOW FLYCATCHER, all FOY, plus BLACKPOLL WARBLERS and a VEERY. South of the garden there was a male N. PARULA, AMERICAN REDSTART, CHESTNUT-SIDED, WILSON'S and (the previously mentioned) CAPE MAY WARBLERS.
South of Wooded Island was the real prize of the day. I heard its buzzy song but needed to track it down. This proved difficult as one moment it sounded like it was one direction and another moment it sounded like it was in the other direction. Finally I could tell it was in an apple tree, but deep within it. Then, there it was, a male GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER! I've wanted to see one so bad, because I missed it last year! I brought some other birders over that I saw nearby, so they might get a look at it. While they were looking I spotted a CEDAR WAXWING, which was my FOY of that species. The Golden-winged was my 19 on the day; I was hoping to find a 20th species. South of the driving range was my FOY E. WOOD-PEWEE. There was a 1st spring ORCHARD ORIOLE singing in the meadow. In the woods by the meadow I found FOY WOOD THRUSH and RED-EYED VIREO, but no new warbler species. I had time to check the birdiest spots at the Inner Harbor and west golf course but only added a couple pigeons and a SWAINSON'S THRUSH to the day's list. My full list follows.

Abbreviations: WI/BM = Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow, IH = Inner Harbor, GC = Golf Course.

Canada Goose: WI/BM (31), IH (2)
Wood Duck: WI/BM (2)
Mallard: WI/BM (10)
Red-breasted Merganser: WI/BM (1)
Pied-billed Grebe: WI/BM (1)
Double-crested Cormorant: WI/BM (7)
Great Blue Heron: WI/BM (1)
Spotted Sandpiper: WI/BM (1)
Ring-billed Gull: WI/BM (5), IH (2), GC (3)
Herring Gull: WI/BM (4)
Caspian Tern: WI/BM (4), IH (2)
Rock Pigeon: GC (2)
Chimney Swift: WI/BM (3), GC (5)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird: WI/BM (1)
Downy Woodpecker: WI/BM (5)
N. Flicker: WI/BM (1)
E. Wood-Pewee: WI/BM (1)
Willow Flycatcher: WI/BM (1)
Least Flycatcher: WI/BM (4)
Empidonax flycatcher sp: WI/BM (3)
E. Phoebe: WI/BM (1)
Great Crested Flycatcher: WI/BM (1)
E. Kingbird: WI/BM (3), GC (1)
Warbling Vireo: WI/BM (8)
Red-eyed Vireo: WI/BM (1; another was seen on WI by Paul C.)
Blue Jay: WI/BM (7)
A. Crow: WI/BM (5), GC (3)
Purple Martin: WI/BM (7)
Tree Swallow: WI/BM (1), IH (2)
Rough-winged Swallow: WI/BM (8)
Cliff Swallow: WI/BM (1), IH (10)
Barn Swallow: WI/BM (15), IH (2)
Black-capped Chickadee: WI/BM (1), GC (1)
House Wren: WI/BM (6)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher: WI/BM (9), IH (1)
Wood Thrush: WI/BM (1)
Veery: WI/BM (1)
Swainson's Thrush: GC (1)
A. Robin: WI/BM (33), IH (2), GC (4)
Gray Catbird: WI/BM (26), IH (2), GC (6)
Brown Thrasher: WI/BM (1)
Euro. Starling: WI/BM (49)
Cedar Waxwing: WI/BM (1)
Ovenbird: WI/BM (2), GC (1)
N. Waterthrush: WI/BM (6), GC (1)
Black-and-white Warbler: WI/BM (2), GC (1)
Golden-winged Warbler: WI/BM (1)
Tennessee Warbler: WI/BM (3)
Nashville Warbler: WI/BM (3)
Common Yellowthroat: WI/BM (8), IH (1)
A. Redstart: WI/BM (6), GC (1)
Cape May Warbler: WI/BM (4)
N. Parula: WI/BM (2)
Magnolia Warbler: WI/BM (3)
Blackburnian Warbler: WI/BM (4)
Yellow Warbler: WI/BM (34), IH (3)
Chestnut-sided Warbler: WI/BM (2)
Blackpoll Warbler: WI/BM (3)
Palm Warbler: WI/BM (36)
Yellow-rumped Warbler: WI/BM (25)
Black-throated Green Warbler: WI/BM (3)
Wilson's Warbler: WI/BM (2)
Field Sparrow: WI/BM (1)
Chipping Sparrow: WI/BM (1)
Savannah Sparrow: WI/BM (2)
Song Sparrow: WI/BM (16), IH (3)
Lincoln's Sparrow: WI/BM (4)
Swamp Sparrow: WI/BM (2)
White-crowned Sparrow: WI/BM (16), IH (3), GC (3)
White-throated Sparrow: WI/BM (6), GC (3)
Scarlet Tanager: WI/BM (1)
N. Cardinal: WI/BM (4), GC (3)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak: WI/BM (1), GC (1)
Indigo Bunting: WI/BM (4)
Common Grackle: WI/BM (5)
Red-winged Blackbird: WI/BM (28), IH (4)
Brown-headed Cowbird: WI/BM (10), IH (2), GC (2)
Orchard Orile: WI/BM (1)
Baltimore Oriole: WI/BM (8), IH (1), GC (1)
A. Goldfinch: WI/BM (15), IH (3), GC (2)
House Sparrow: WI/BM (10), GC (2)

Randy Shonkwiler
Woodlawn/Chicago

Join us on Facebook!