Date: 5/11/18 5:18 pm
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Washington County - Mostly IBA 80 Taylorstown to SGL 232
All,

Well, what an amazing day to be out birding. But then again, it seems like every time out has been like that in the last two weeks. Almost all of my birding and species were from the Taylorstown exit on I-70 to the Taylorstown area, then Greencove area, then over to SGL 232 and Narigon Run. I drove 27 miles and birded 4 hours (11:42-3:47), and had 81 species on the IBA, plus 4 species in transit. Highlights? What wasn't!

In transit species:

Bald Eagle - Southpointe

Wild Turkey - male courting female in field off of I-79 at Meadowlands exit

Northern Mockingbird - Rt 344 on way back to Washington

Rock Pigeon

+ Tennessee Warbler - singing in Bridgeville on Mayview road in neigborhood

Flycatchers - it was a banner day for them, and they were numerous:

Eastern Wood Pewee - 6 singing males

ALDER FLYCATCHER - posted earlier; Newman Road, saw singing male 30 feet from the car at eye level; my 1st in county ever

Least Flycatcher - 2

Eastern Kingbird - 6

Willow Flycatcher - 4, including one singing 'hic-hic-hic-fitzbew'

Eastern Phoebe

Acadian Flycatcher - 9

Warblers - another strong day for them; I've had 26 species in the last 9 days, plus Northern Waterthrush 13 days ago

Yellow Warbler - ubiquitous

Louisiana Waterthrush - 2+

Common Yellowthroat

Tennessee Warbler - 22; I don't think I've ever had so many in one day; they were singing everywhere

American Redstart - 31+ - yep...a lot

Blue-winged Warbler - 1; they weren't in any of their usual haunts

Yellow-breasted Chat - 1 singing at Greencove wetlands

Yellow-throated Warbler - 1 (only?)

Cerulean Warbler - 9+

Hooded Warbler - 4

Wilson's Warbler - 1 singing male

Northern Parula - 1

Black-throated Green Warbler - 1

Bay-breasted Warbler - 5 singing males

Blackpoll Warbler - 1 singing male

Blackburnian Warbler - 2 singing males

Chestnut-sided Warbler - 1 singing male

Vireos - an how!

Red-eyed Vireo - of course

Warbling Vireo - 7+ singing males

Yellow-throated Vireo - 10 singing males

White-eyed Vireo - 1

The Rest

Baltimore Oriole - 20+ male and female, + 1 nest with activity

Orchard Oriole - 3+; I think I might have forgotten to count a good handful of these

Wood Thrush

Black-billed Cuckoo - 1 calling

Brown Thrasher - 2

Rose-breasted Grosbeak - many

Scarlet Tanager - many

Savannah Sparrow - 2

Killdeer - nest at Taylorstown Ballfields

Swamp Sparrow - only 2

Bobolink - 1 on Post Road in farm field

Green Heron - 1 at Greencove

COMMON MERGANSER - 1 male flew under the covered bridge north of Greencove as I stood there...good sign!

It took until my 80th species of the day to get my first Carolina Chickadee. I only heard 1 or 2 total. Crazy, huh?

So what I'm saying is GET OUTSIDE AND BIRD tomorrow! Everyone, have good IMBD days!

Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA

Join us on Facebook!