Date: 5/11/18 4:45 pm
From: <mresch8702...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Extralimital - Golden-winged Warblers in Milford, NH

Thought I'd pass along a few details on 2 male Golden-winged Warblers being seen in Milford, NH, just 5 miles north of the MA/NH stateline. They've been singing in very suitable nesting habitat for the last 3 days - wouldn't it be exciting if they were truly on territory?

Here are the directions -

Park in the dirt parking lot on the east side of Federal Hill Road near 506 Federal Hill Road in Milford (across the street from a huge red house)

Walk south on Federal Hill Rd. about 500 ft to a trail on the west side of the road that has an orange chain across the trail.

Walk down this trail (roughly west) a bit less than a mile, passing by multiple side trails - don't take any of these side trails. You'll go under power lines, pass several clearings in the woods, and then pass a beaver pond.

Soon after the beaver pond you'll start up the hill and see a sign for the junction of Vista Trail and Loop Trail. This is near the eastern edge of the habitat that the Golden-wings prefer (scattered tall deciduous tress with a thick understory of saplings). Approximate coordinates - 42.779088, -71.634577

The birds have also been seen and heard farther west along this main trail for the next 400-500 ft. And one bird seems to prefer singing from the trees 100 yards to the north of the trail. The day I was there it only sang from the top of the tall trees and didn't sing from the brush.

(Hope this gets posted to MASSBIRD - I don't think most of my posts actually make it to MASSBIRD)

Mike Resch
www.statebirding.blogspot.com
Pepperell, MA

Join us on Facebook!