Date: 5/11/18 4:20 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Stilt Sandpiper in Hampton, Roseate Terns, migrants
I had a STILT SANDPIPER this morning in the Hampton Salt Marshes with
assorted shorebirds.  Normally an uncommon fall migrant, this species is
rarely seen in the northeast in the spring.  As far as I can tell, this
may be a first spring record for NH; however, there area multiple spring
records from Plum Island and further south in MA.  It looks like a few
other birders searched for it today, but couldn't find it.  A Cooper's
Hawk in the area was causing lots of problems.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/28168159738/in/dateposted/

Also there were 3 White-rumped Sandpipers, 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers,
Semipalmated Plovers, and lots of Least Sandpipers.  A flock of 11 (!!)
Fish Crows continue in the area!

In the Hampton Harbor inlet, there were about 100 or more Common Terns
and 7 ROSEATE TERNS (FOY).

Also MIGRATING in about 2 hours from Hampton Beach SP
Common Loon  7
Double-crested Cormorant  21
Black-bellied Plover  4     Possibly migrating.
Least Sandpiper  15
Short-billed Dowitcher  1     Flying with BBPL.
Chimney Swift  12
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  5
Eastern Kingbird  3
Tree Swallow  21
Barn Swallow  29
Cliff Swallow  2
Savannah Sparrow  1
Bobolink  2
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
American Goldfinch  102     Careful count of migrating birds. Largest
flock of 30.

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA