Date: 5/11/18 3:14 pm
From: Kevin Smith <kevinsmithnaturephotos...>
Subject: [COBOL] Up-River
Interesting observation on Dipper poop.  While photographing a nest near
the Old Mill one of the chicks extruded a poop sac like a normal chick
of the species and an adult (assume Mom ;-)) came to take it away, but
the nest opening is on a slope so the sac rolled out of the opening and
down the slope right in front of the adult. The adult tried to catch it
but it splashed into the water before she could get to it.  It turned
out that many of the sacs rolled into the water before they could be
caught.  But, the adults were determined and retrieved them and took
them away to a 'secret spot' behind a rock so I was unable to see what
they did with the sacs.  Next trip I will get into a different sitting
spot.  Also at the spot were a pair of Wilson's Warblers, a few Robins,
an Anna's Hummingbird male and a Black-headed Grosbeak.

Kevin Smith