Date: 5/11/18 2:57 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET LaBagh Woods-Can You Get A 20 Warbler Species Day? Friday 5-11-18
Hello Bird People,

When I left LaBagh at noon or so I thought I had 18 species of
warblers thanks to the fine work of Jeff Skrentny & Amanda T who
figured out that a strange warbler was a female Blue Winged Warbler.
Couldn't find the Golden Winged Warbler but that was o.k. as if I had
seen it I'd of had 19 species of warbler which would have required me
to stay in the rain & look for #20 which you HAVE to do when at 19
species. Imagine my surprise when I got home & found I had left off
Tennessee Warbler from my field notes. So I was at 19 after all but it
was 3 p.m. & now what? Should I go somewhere close or to Skokie
Lagoons where I'd have a better chance at getting another species?
Decided to go close & hope for the best so I went to St Paul's F.P.
next to Miami Woods as it's only
2 1/2 miles from home. Didn't look good as all I found in 20 min was 1
Black Throated Green. Then I went into some really thick woods & saw a
Veery fly & land. Tried to get a better look but then another bird
flew up & sat in plain view & that bird turned out to be an OVENBIRD
which was #20.
Usually these silly quests come up empty but today all went well even
though I didn't do the far away location. Now I've had one 20 warbler
species day & I don't care if I get another. One is fine with me.

LaBagh Woods (8:15-noon)

Canada Geese (6)
Wood Duck (2)
Mallard (2)
Solitary Sandpiper (1)
Red Bellied (4), Downy (1) & Hairy (1-F) Woodpeckers
Flicker (1-2)
Least Flycatcher (1)
Blue Jay (2)
Crow (1 fly-by)
Chickadee (H-2)
House Wren (saw 1 & heard 2 more)
R.C. Kinglet (3)
B.G. Gnatcatcher (4)
Veery (1)
Swainson's Thrush (3)
Robins (25)
Gray Catbird (4)
Warbling Vireo (2)
Blue Winged Warbler (1-F)
Tennessee Warbler (2)
Nashville Warbler (4-5)
Northern Parula (1-F & 1-M)
Yellow Warbler (1)
Chestnut Sided (10)
Magnolia Warbler (7)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (10)
Palm Warbler (8)
Black Throated Green (5)
Blackpoll (1-M)
Black & White (6)
American Redstart (7)
PROTHONOTARY WARBLER (1, pointed out by 2 young photographers)
Northern Waterthrush (2)
LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH (1, same place as Jeff Sk saw one the day before)
Common Yellowthroat (3-M)
Wilson's Warbler (5, FOY)
CANADA WARBLER (1, FOY)
Cardinal (2-3)
Indigo Bunting (2)
Rose Breasted Grosbeak (1-M)
White Crowned Sparrow (22)
White Throated Sparrow (3-4)
Lincoln's Sparrow (1)
Red Wings, Grackles & Cowbirds
Baltimore Oriole (2-M)
Goldfinch (6)
House Sparrow (4)

I should mention that Josh E & group had a SUMMER TANAGER & a Philly
Vireo here today.
Can't see them all!

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Ovenbird which popped up when I needed it most!
Runners-Up to the Prothonotary Warbler, the Louisiana Waterthrush &
the 2 Parulas.

Al Stokie
Having fun with Warblers!

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>