Date: 5/11/18 1:22 pm
From: Russell Benedict <BenedictR...>
Subject: [ia-bird] requesting help with a non-bird
Hello birders,

My name is Russ, and I am a Biology Professor at Central College, in Pella. I am working with a student to update the geographic distribution of the American Red Squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) in Iowa. This primarily northern species inhabits deciduous forests in north-central Iowa roughly from Spirit Lake east to Cresco, and about as far south as Cedar Falls. Its distribution was mapped by former Central College professor John Bowles in his Ph.D. dissertation describing the mammals of Iowa, but it has not been examined since the early 1970s. IF YOU SEE THIS SQUIRREL, please try to get a photo or a recording of its distinctive chatter, and send them to me offline (<benedictr...>). But even if you can't get a photo, please let me know that you saw one. The red squirrel is very commonly confused with the super-abundant Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger), but the red squirrel is about half the size of the fox squirrel (nearly approaching a chipmunk in size), has a white belly, and has a white eye ring. It also vocalizes with a drawn out, intense chatter that is unmistakable. This YouTube video illustrates the appearance and distinctive chatter of the American Red Squirrel, although the chatter is coming from somewhere out of view (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HleGtR7SLgo). Thanks, and good birding, Russ.

[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVP.lmw_wp8ouLe34SaMQazDrwEsDh&pid=Api]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HleGtR7SLgo>

Red Squirrel Alarm and Bark Calls<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HleGtR7SLgo>
www.youtube.com
Amazing sounds of a mother Red Squirrel giving the alarm call followed by furious barking call when her nest is discovered. Crank up the volume and enjoy! - Clearly ...

Russ Benedict

Professor of Biology

Director of Prairies For Agriculture Project

Department of Biology, Central College

812 University Street | Campus Box 09 | Pella, Iowa 50219
Office: 641-628-5173
[http://departments.central.edu/centralcommunications/files/2012/09/centralCollegeEmailLogo.png]