Date: 5/11/18 10:17 am
From: pep4223 <pep4223...>
Subject: YB Chat, 5 vireo species - Shannondale Springs WMA - Jefferson County
The Potomac Valley Audubon Society sponsored a public bird walk at Shannondale Springs WMA this morning. Five birders joined me at the place I call the American Redstart headquarters. If you want to hear and see an American Redstart, this is the place to visit during breeding season. The weather was sunny with just a touch of fog early morning. We started at 59 degrees F, with the temperature rising to 70 degrees F by 10 AM.

One of the highlights for me was getting to see a Yellow-breasted Chat after it hid for us for about 10 minutes. As we started to leave, it moved across the trail and positioned itself in sunlight on a very visible tree without leaves to block its view. It appeared to be sending us a message "I'm here, don't go, look at me!" And so we reveled in its beauty before it dropped out of sight.

We also had nice looks at early morning Wood Ducks, Spotted Sandpipers, Scarlet Tanager, American Redstart and an Osprey. We saw or heard 5 vireo species. It was also a pleasure to bird with a smaller group of experienced birders who had full appreciation of bird song. As I was driving out through the WMA to the main road, I heard a Chipping Sparrow, which seemed to be absent on our walk. Seeing and hearing 57 bird species was a lovely way to start a day.

Shannondale Springs WMA, Jefferson, West Virginia, US
May 11, 2018 7:05 AM - 10:22 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.71 mile(s)

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 2
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 3
Common Merganser (North American) (Mergus merganser americanus) 2
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 3
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) (Ardea herodias [herodias Group]) 2
Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus) 6
Turkey Vulture (Northern) (Cathartes aura aura/septentrionalis) 4
Osprey (carolinensis) (Pandion haliaetus carolinensis) 1
Red-shouldered Hawk (lineatus Group) (Buteo lineatus [lineatus Group]) 5
Red-tailed Hawk (borealis) (Buteo jamaicensis borealis) 2
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius) 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon)) 2
Mourning Dove (Mainland) (Zenaida macroura [carolinensis Group]) 4
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 7
Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) (Picoides pubescens pubescens/medianus) 3
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (Colaptes auratus auratus/luteus) 2
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens) 5
Acadian Flycatcher (Empidonax virescens) 7
Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus) 3
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) 2
White-eyed Vireo (White-eyed) (Vireo griseus [griseus Group]) 7
Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons) 2
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius) 1 Heard
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) (Vireo gilvus gilvus) 4
Red-eyed Vireo (Red-eyed) (Vireo olivaceus olivaceus) 21
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 2
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 7
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 1
Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis) 2
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) (Sitta carolinensis carolinensis) 1
Carolina Wren (Northern) (Thryothorus ludovicianus [ludovicianus Group]) 20
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (caerulea) (Polioptila caerulea caerulea) 9
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina) 2
American Robin (migratorius Group) (Turdus migratorius [migratorius Group]) 1
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 6
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 1
Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla) 3
Louisiana Waterthrush (Parkesia motacilla) 2
Common Yellowthroat (trichas Group) (Geothlypis trichas [trichas Group]) 7
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) 19
Yellow Warbler (Northern) (Setophaga petechia [aestiva Group]) 4
Yellow-throated Warbler (albilora) (Setophaga dominica albilora) 2
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 1
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) 7
Eastern Towhee (Red-eyed) (Pipilo erythrophthalmus erythrophthalmus/canaster) 4
Yellow-breasted Chat (virens) (Icteria virens virens) 1
Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea) 2
Northern Cardinal (Common) (Cardinalis cardinalis [cardinalis Group]) 10
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) 18 2 pair
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 1
Red-winged Blackbird (Red-winged) (Agelaius phoeniceus [phoeniceus Group]) 1
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) 5
Common Grackle (Bronzed) (Quiscalus quiscula versicolor) 2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 14

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45549563

BIRDMOM

Jefferson County, WV