Date: 5/11/18 8:39 am
From: Marc Ribaudo via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Leesyvlania State Park, least flycatcher, warblers
Leesylvania State Park in Woodbridge was very birdy this morning, with 76 species. Lots of warblers coming in 18 flavors. For the first time yellow-rumps did not dominate; I saw only about 5. Most common were blackpolls, American redstart, northern parula, black-throated blue, and Cape May. As others have noted, this has been a good year for Cape Mays, at least in Prince William Co., and I saw at least half a dozen. Other warblers were ovenbird, worm-eating, prothonotary, common yellowthroat, magnolia, bay-breasted, yellow, chestnut-sided, yellow, prairie, black-throated green, and Wilson's. I also saw a chat, rather unusual in the park. My only year bird was a least flycatcher in the open area across the road from the Powell's Creek parking lot. Other notables were rose-breasted and blue grosbeaks, laughing gull, both tanagers, both orioles, and Swainson's thrush.

Marc Ribaudo
<moribaudo...>