Date: 5/10/18 10:52 pm
From: Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Plymouth and Woodbury--May 10, 2018
Received a phone call from one of our field trip helpers about 3:30pm.
They had a Summer Tanager at their feeders just SE of Broken Kettle in
Plymouth County. Needed it for the year and also for the county of
Plymouth so I was "forced" to make the trip. Saw the Summer Tanager (#202
Plymouth Co.) before I got halfway down the lane. Had great looks at it
during the 20 minute visit. 19 species at their feeders during that time.

Of course, now I am on a roll and need one more species to make 200 for the
year so decide to revisit a couple of locations from yesterday.
Considerably fewer species and individuals but some good ones anyway. Bank
Swallow was #200. Both Bank and Tree Swallows along with a male Spotted
Sandpiper were feeling very frisky. There were a good number of
opportunities for photographs but make camera is still in repair so another
day of "woe" for me.

Best bird of the day was a Glossy Ibis(2nd of the year) at Table
Marsh--most special because it was a new county bird (#288). Get tougher
each year- one in 2017 and one this year.

Still good numbers of shorebirds around.

For those of you who did not see Tucker Lutter's post on Stone State Park
(another of the IOU Spring Meeting Field trip locations)--he had 78 species
between 1:00 and 4:00 pm. Cannot image how many species he would have
found if he had birded all day.

God Bless,

*Paul O. Roisen*
*Woodbury County, IA*