Date: 5/10/18 9:38 pm
From: Tucker J. Lutter <lutter...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Plymouth and Woodbury County: Pileated Woodpeckers and Cerulean Warbler
Hello Birders,
A three hour hike in Stone State Park on May 10 produced 78 species.
They were all seen in the northern portion of the park near the west
entrance, Carolyn Benne Nature Trail, the campground and in the Talbot
State Preserve.
The highlight was 2 very vocal PILEATED WOODPECKERS in the Talbot State
Preserve in Plymouth County. This is the second spring I have had this
species in the park. Last year they were further south near Dorothy Pecaut
Nature Center. It seems likely that they are trying to establish a nesting
population. The attached photo shows a small log that was decimated by the
Pileated Woodpeckers. I saw all 7 regularly occurring species of
woodpeckers in the park today.
Another highlight was 16 species of warbler. A CERULEAN WARBLER was
calling and a Golden-winged Warbler was seen at the same location as the
Pileated Woodpeckers. Seven Louisiana Waterthrushes were seen in the
ravines near the campground.

A list of species is below.

Good Birding!

Tucker J. Lutter

Ring-necked Pheasant 1
Double-crested Cormorant 36
Turkey Vulture 6
Cooper's Hawk 1
Broad-winged Hawk 4
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 2
Barred Owl 1
Chimney Swift 9
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Red-headed Woodpecker 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 12
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 10
Hairy Woodpecker 5
Northern Flicker 4
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 5
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) 20
Least Flycatcher 40
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 13
Yellow-throated Vireo 9