Date: 5/10/18 8:36 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: Stebbins Golden-wing, Cattle Egrets, and Re: [MASSBIRD] Scaup - Barton Cove
Hi MassBirders,

Quick notes from western MA: John Hutchinson reported a Golden-winged Warbler at the Fannie Stebbins refuge yesterday (Wednesday). Presumably this is the same bird photographed there by Jan Hansen back on May 5. Or maybe not?

Also, along with the Cattle Egret blitz y’all have been having in Essex County, a few have turned up in Hampshire County as well. Tom Gagnon found the first one in Florence on May 3. Then on May 7, Noah Kahn found two of them on South Maple Street in Hadley. The latter two were still being seen through Wednesday but I’ve heard no Thursday reports yet.

> On May 10, 2018, at 8:40 AM, Bill Lafley wrote:
>
> On my way by took a quick look in Barton Cove and there was what looked to be a Greater Scaup out by the island.
>
> Bill Lafley
> New Salem

Most likely was a Greater, Bill. I had a scaup around there on Monday morning. Wasn’t sure which species as it was on the water, but then two adult Bald Eagles soared over and flushed it, and I managed a few decent in-flight photos showing what looks like a Greater Scaup wing pattern with the white stripe running well out into the primaries. I figured that it was gone after I saw it fly off, but Eric Huston filed an eBird report yesterday of one near the Barton Cove Campground; this late in waterfowl migration I’d wager that all three sightings were of the same bird...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA