Date: 5/10/18 8:22 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Crane Beach, Ipswich, May 10, 2018 (plus a cattle egret)
Crane Beach, Ipswich

May 10, 2018 1:25 PM - 3:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
Comments: I went to the beach for a tern fix and got a great one. I was mostly on the beach proper.
20 species

Brant (Atlantic) 3
Long-tailed Duck 2
Wild Turkey 1
Double-crested Cormorant 13
Snowy Egret 1
Piping Plover 3
Sanderling 1
Ring-billed Gull 3
Herring Gull 11
Great Black-backed Gull 8
Least Tern 20 plus
Roseate Tern 15 Minimum number. Saw them at close range in flight on on beach for easy comparison with commons. Also heard their "chiv-vik" calls often.
Common Tern 140 plus, often massed on the beach with leasts and roseates
Blue Jay 3
Tree Swallow 50 plus
Bank Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 12
Northern Mockingbird 1 Commendable repertoire.
Eastern Towhee 4
Red-winged Blackbird 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45528708

********

Argilla-Northgate-Essex Rd. Fields Complex, Ipswich
May 10, 2018 1:15 PM
Protocol: Incidental
Comments: I was on my way to the beach and noticed a white spot in the distance from Northgate Rd. I took out my scope and, as I suspected, it was a cattle egret, down on the farm pond with a few Canada geese.
1 species

Cattle Egret 1 As there have been birds in Rowley and Newbury at the same time, and since this bird has apparently been in Ipswich awhile, there could be at least three of these birds around.

View this checklist online athttps://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45528288

http://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!