Date: 5/10/18 7:17 pm
From: Gary Haden <gchaden...>
Subject: Morris County Birding Opportunity
I will be hosting the Topeka Audubon Society at our farm eight miles northeast of Herington on Saturday, June 2nd. We will doing some casual birding before an early potluck lunch. Our 285-acre farm is in the pipeline to become part of Audubon of Kansas' Sanctuary Program. We have a mix of pasture, native prairie, cropland and more than 40 acres of woodlands. We have a half-mile-long nature trail along Clarks Creek that passes under 160-year-old bur oaks. There are four active nests in the Great Blue heronry along our nature trail and the wood ducks have been present for weeks, so we might have ducklings on the creek within a few days. Other previous nesters on or near our property include Red-shouldered hawk, Belted Kingfishers, Summer Tanager, Blue Grosbeak, Field Sparrow, Lark Sparrows, Greater Prairie Chicken, N. Mockingbird, Bell's Vireo, and the usual nesters one would expect in a mixture of prairie, woodlands and croplands. Historically we had nesting Swainson Hawks and Loggerhead Shrikes, but it has been many years since I've seen Swainson's Hawks in the summer and the Loggerhead Shrikes are much less common than they once were. The aforementioned birds are by no means guaranteed, except perhaps the tanager and the lark sparrows. As previously mentioned, this will be a casual birding experience, as we will not be gathering at the crack of dawn and we will be breaking for a potluck lunch (with hamburgers and hotdogs) at about 11 a.m. (perhaps later if birding is going well). Anyone who wants to do more serious early morning birding might want to hit Geary County Fishing Lake (12 miles north) or the lakes west of Herington (Dickinson County) 14 miles southwest. Interested parties should contact me for more details at <gchaden...><mailto:<gchaden...>. - Gary Haden, Manhattan

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>

Join us on Facebook!