Date: 5/10/18 7:10 pm
From: Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Purple martins today and nest box update
Saw several purple martins at a colony site north of Paonia today. Also, we cleaned out the box in which they nested last season and found that the nest had failed. Three eggs in it. So while I got a nesting attempt in a box last year it apparently did not succeed. Hope for better results this season. Still at nine boxes, broke one today but may get it up next week.

On a slightly odd note we had no bluebirds in PUMA boxes in 17 but there were already MOBL building nests in two of them we were cleaning today. One box had 3 MOBL starts in it, one with birds active. Another had just one but they weren’t happy with box maintenance and glared at us with mouthfuls of nesting materials. Three minutes after the box was back in place one carried in some material and started in again.

Also had house wrens in the aspens today.

Dennis Garrison
Paonia, Delta County