Date: 5/10/18 6:35 pm
From: Comcast <arethusa...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Merlin pair in Rochester, MA

I spent a very enjoyable day on my deck watching a pair Merlins on my garden posts, in a large pine and flying. I even got to watch them mate. They have been around for a few days and I had to really go thru all the potential raptors till I finally eliminated all but Merlin. The color, size, vocalizations all matched. When I finally read the two volumes of the Birding atlas and saw that they have nested on the Vineyard and Nantucket and are thought to probably be found near the coast. We are @ 6 miles from Buzzards Bay. The thing that struck me most is how different they act from other raptors I have observed. They landed on so many different locations and didn’t mind that we, after the first hour or so, went about our daily routine. They didn’t vocalize as much as our pair of red shoulder but did talk a lot. They were out in the open, not secretive like many other raptors. So....now the next thing is to find the nest!
Laurene Gerrior
Sent from my iPad

Join us on Facebook!