Date: 5/10/18 5:10 pm
From: Bob Duchesne <duchesne...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] North Maine Woods...again
It's scouting season. Having scouted for the birding festivals earlier this
week, I turned my attention to the tours I will be leading with Seth Benz
and Schoodic Institute later. (Not a solicitation. The tours are full.)
Two days in the North Maine Woods were highly entertaining. The spruce
grouse get downright goofy this time of year, and the woodpeckers are
drumming everywhere during the morning hours. In one patch of woods west of
Chamberlain Lake, my wife and I encountered three different breeding
territories of black-backed woodpeckers, all within easy walking distance of
each other. It's weird when black-backed woodpeckers are the most common
woodpeckers around. Finches are still going nuts up thataway.

For an entertaining recap, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PqtLWkpwE.

Bob Duchesne

Woodpecker Whisperer