Date: 5/10/18 4:07 pm
From: Scottjstoner <ScottJStoner...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [HMBirds] Century Run
I dont believed HMBC has adopted the 95 percent rule...

-------- Original message --------From: "Alan Mapes <alanmapes...> [hmbirds]" <hmbirds-noreply...> Date: 5/10/18 4:33 PM (GMT-05:00) To: richard guthrie <richardpguthrie...> Cc: HMBirds <hmbirds...> Subject: Re: [HMBirds] Century Run

Thanks for the note, Rich. I can shed some light on the percent rule. The New Jersey World Series of Birding uses the 95% rule. 95% of the claimed birds on your team list must have been seen or heard by every team member. That gives you a 5% margin for birds ID'd by one or more people, but not gotten by everyone.
I don't think HMBC has adopted that rule for Century Run - can anyone enlighten us on that?
Alan

On Thu, May 10, 2018, 3:47 PM Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> wrote:

Since this question came up elsewhere, I thought I'd offer the following:
For anyone not familiar with the Century Run, it is a time honored effort to challenge area birders to team up to see who can come up with 100 or more species in one predetermined date and within the HMBC Region (NYSOA's11-county Region 8).  There is also a competitive air to the event, seeing which group can come up with the highest number of species for that day and perhaps the highest number for all time relevant to prior Century Runs. To maximize on the timing of migration, the date is sometime mid-May. The day is defined as midnight to midnight on that chosen date. A team can consist of any number of individuals but they all have to stay together (within sight or ear-shout of the rest of the team).  To count for the team total, any claimed species must be seen or heard by a certain number (90%?) of that team's participants.

Team results are forwarded to the HMBC coordinator by a certain date and are then published in the club's newsletter.
I'm sure I've left a pertinent point or two out - and I'm not sure of that 90% rule. So if anyone has additional info to add, feel free to chime in.
Rich Guthrie

--
Richard Guthrie

Join us on Facebook!