Date: 5/10/18 3:51 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden-Weekly Survey (Good Warblers) Thursday 5-10-18
Hello Bird People,

If I'm not chasing rare birds (well a little) this year I guess a rare
bird can still come to me. And that's what happened when I caught a
glimpse of what appeared to be a very interesting warbler but it flew
away. But I went were I saw it land & got very good looks at a PRAIRIE
WARBLER! Now if that bird had not been re-found I would not have been
sure so I'm very glad I had a 2nd chance to see it.
Ended up with 15 warbler species & a few others were fairly
interesting as well just not as good as the Prairie. Once about 15
years ago Jeff Sanders & I had a singing Prairie at Skokie Lagoons but
that was long ago. Here's my day list.

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:30-noon)

P.B.Grebe (only 1 left)
Great Blue Heron (1 & 3 fly-bys)
Canada Geese (~16)
Wood Duck (2 at the Northern Lake & 15 at the B.Brown Pond)
Mallard (12)
B.W.Teal (6)
Turkey Vulture (1)
Killdeer (3)
Spotted Sandpiper (2)
Ring Billed (2 fly-bys) & Herring (1) Gulls
Caspian Tern (4)
Mourning Dove (2)
RED HEADED WOODPECKER (1-AD, not normally here)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (2)
Downy Woodpecker (2)
Flicker (2)
Chimney Swift (1 fly-by)
Least Flycatcher (2)
Eastern Phoebe (1)
Tree, Barn & Rough Winged Swallows
Purple Martin (15 at the eastern nest box & 6 at the 2 western nest boxes)
Blue Jay (2)
Crow (2 fly-bys)
Chickadee (3-4)
House Wren (H-2)
R.C. Kinglet (1)
B.G. Gnatcatcher (4)
Eastern Bluebird (1-M)
Swainson's Thrush (only 1)
Robins (~30)
Gray Catbird (4)
YELLOW THROATED VIREO (2)
Warbling Vireo (9, seemed like they were everywhere)
Tennessee Warbler (2)
Nashville Warbler (2)
Yellow Warbler (2)
Chestnut Sided Warbler (4)
Magnolia Warbler (6)
CAPE MAY WARBLER (2 beautiful males)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (16)
Black Throated Green Warbler (3)
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER (2-M)
PRAIRIE WARBLER (1, 1st ever at the CBG & FOY)
Palm Warbler (18)
BLACKPOLL (1-M, FOY)
Black & White Warbler (4)
American Redstart (4-5)
Common Yellowthroat (1-2 M)
Cardinal (2)
Indigo Bunting (1)
Eastern Towhee (1, singing)
Song Sparrow (4)
Lincoln's Sparrow (1)
White Crowned Sparrow (6)
Red Wings, Grackles & Cowbirds
Baltimore Oriole (1)
ORCHARD ORIOLE (1, a young male with the black throat, singing)
House Finch (3)
Goldfinch (6-7)
House Sparrow (4)

It was another fast start but slow finish warbler day. I had 13
species on the walk around the northern lake (including the Prairie) &
so I figured I could get some more in McDonald Woods but almost no
warblers were there only 1 Black & White, 2 Palms & 1 Myrtle, nothing
new. Did get Yellow Warbler & Common Yellowthroat at the B.Brown Pond
to get to 15 species but no more. Could have gone elsewhere for
Ovenbird & Northern Waterthrush but I'd still be short of 20 so I
didn't.

Bird-Of-The-Day of course goes to the Prairie Warbler &
Runner's Up to the Cape May & Blackburnian Warblers & the young Orchard Oriole.

License Plate Of The Day goes to one from Rhode Island & yesterday to
one from New Hampshire. All from New England but not the one from
Vermont that I need.

Al Stokie

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: