Date: 5/10/18 2:33 pm
From: Jim Moodie <jmoodie...>
Subject: [COBOL] Smith Rock, Lower Bridge and Redmond Sewage Ponds today
COBOLanders,

This morning I birded the northern part of Deschutes county in anticipation of my next set of COCC field trips next week.

A quick stop at Smith Rock produced the usual suspects (my first White-throated Swifts with some iffy photos) and hordes of climbers and middle schoolers. Nice visit with David Vick too!

Lower Bridge was hopping! As soon as I exited the vehicle, a pair of Swainson's Hawks circling above. Bullock's Oriole, Western Kingbirds, Yellow Warblers, Common Yellowthroats...the place is buzzing with activity.

Walking down the trail on the west side of the bridge, warblers everywhere including:

Yellow
Yellow-rumped
Towsend's
Wilson's (lots)

Also had singing Warbling Vireo, an early WILLOW'S FLYCATCHER (seen very well), Dusky Flycatcher, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Black-headed Grosbeaks, Chipping Sparrows, Golden-crowned Sparrows. It should be a great stop for birding with my students next week.

I had only enough time to check out shorebirds, and not enough time to do that well, at Redmond Sewage Ponds. Did see the Lesser Yellowlegs, Least Sandpipers, Wilson's Phalaropes (no Red-necked), and 21 Dowitchers. I was able to take a few photos of the Dowitchers; will post them on ebird this evening.

Haven't found any ticks on me...yet.

Great time to be outside with your binocular!

Cheers,
Jim

Dr. Jim Moodie
Science Department