Date: 5/10/18 1:34 pm
From: Alan Mapes <alanmapes...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [HMBirds] Century Run
Thanks for the note, Rich. I can shed some light on the percent rule. The
New Jersey World Series of Birding uses the 95% rule. 95% of the claimed
birds on your team list must have been seen or heard by every team member.
That gives you a 5% margin for birds ID'd by one or more people, but not
gotten by everyone.

I don't think HMBC has adopted that rule for Century Run - can anyone
enlighten us on that?

Alan

On Thu, May 10, 2018, 3:47 PM Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...>
[hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Since this question came up elsewhere, I thought I'd offer the following:
>
> For anyone not familiar with the Century Run, it is a time honored effort
> to challenge area birders to team up to see who can come up with 100 or
> more species in one predetermined date and within the HMBC Region
> (NYSOA's11-county Region 8). There is also a competitive air to the event,
> seeing which group can come up with the highest number of species for that
> day and perhaps the highest number for all time relevant to prior Century
> Runs. To maximize on the timing of migration, the date is sometime mid-May.
> The day is defined as midnight to midnight on that chosen date. A team can
> consist of any number of individuals but they all have to stay together
> (within sight or ear-shout of the rest of the team). To count for the team
> total, any claimed species must be seen or heard by a certain number (90%?)
> of that team's participants.
>
> Team results are forwarded to the HMBC coordinator by a certain date and
> are then published in the club's newsletter.
>
> I'm sure I've left a pertinent point or two out - and I'm not sure of that
> 90% rule. So if anyone has additional info to add, feel free to chime in.
>
> Rich Guthrie
>

> --
> Richard Guthrie

Join us on Facebook!