Date: 5/10/18 1:00 pm
From: 'Carolyn A. Marsh' <cmarshbird...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Illiana Birds: Purple Martins/Wolf Lake Chicago
10 May 2018 - Wm. W. Powers Fish and Wildlife Area/Wolf Lake, Chicago - Last
year in April when I went to open and raise the posts of two Purple Martin
houses (12 compartments each), there were American Robins nesting on the
"balcony" of each house. Each compartment was covered and the robins built
their nest on the outside ledge. Since the nests are protected, I didn't
remove them or open the compartments so no martins last year.

This year in April I put plastic around the lowered houses to prevent robins
from nesting. With the help of Powers staff Terri Zovko and Christopher
Zovko, we raised the houses hoping some martins will find them this year.
Dave Gruver saw martins today and I went there and saw a pair.

Carolyn Marsh, Whiting, IN

Join us on Facebook!