Date: 5/10/18 12:38 pm
From: Deb Hale <debhale72...>
Subject: Treasure hunt (Murphy Farm - Harpers Ferry)
This morning's PVAS bird walk at Murphy Farm turned out to be a treasure
hunt, and Heather McSharry & I the only eager birders to show up (perhaps
the 6:30 starting time kept folks away). We were rewarded greatly for our
efforts. The usually birdy Visitor Center parking lot was quiet today, but
we found our first treasure along the maintenance lane: a Canada warbler,
who once we spotted him, sang for us with delight. He was hanging out with
a redstart, that trickster of song.

Further along on the farm we came upon a band of warblers, a treasure trove
that included a Cape May and a gorgeous Bay-breasted, at relatively low
clear view. The Blackpolls were singing (4) and we finally found one to
see near the Overlook, and also Magnolia warblers and another Bay-breasted.

The sunrise through the gap was exquisite when we began, and the weather
held up well, with the first raindrops starting on my short drive home.

Deb Hale
Harpers Ferry/Bolivar

54 species

Canada Goose X heard
Wood Duck 2 pair flying over
Double-crested Cormorant 1 flying above river
Great Blue Heron 1 flying over
Black Vulture 4
Turkey Vulture 6
Bald Eagle 2 2 immatures. pretty dark.
Mourning Dove 1
Chimney Swift X seen and more heard
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Eastern Wood-Pewee 6
Acadian Flycatcher 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 6
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Warbling Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 12
Blue Jay 8
American Crow 3
Fish Crow 1
Tree Swallow 1
Carolina Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 5
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 8
Eastern Bluebird 6
Wood Thrush 3
American Robin 6
Gray Catbird 2
Brown Thrasher 2
European Starling 1
Cedar Waxwing 4
Louisiana Waterthrush 1
American Redstart 2
Cape May Warbler 2
Northern Parula 2
Magnolia Warbler 2 2 or 3.
Bay-breasted Warbler 2
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Blackpoll Warbler 4
Yellow-rumped Warbler 20
Canada Warbler 1
Chipping Sparrow 5
Song Sparrow 1 heard singing on drive in.
Scarlet Tanager 6
Northern Cardinal 15
Indigo Bunting 5
Eastern Meadowlark 3