Date: 5/10/18 7:06 am
From: Gmail <butchchq8...>
Subject: Re: What about fire?
Barry,

You make an excellent point, and personally, I love fires and the ecosystems that are adapted to them. They are fascinating. Having come from the land of the tall grass prairie, it is especially important.

Having said that, I simply meant that the trees in this community weren’t being managed in a typical suburban way. Their ecological trajectory is merely different from the yards that are near them and is complete with snags, wind falls, small open spaces, rotting logs and all the wonderful things that inhabit them.

Sorry for the confusion.
Butch

> On May 10, 2018, at 08:24, Barry Haas <bhaas...> wrote:
>
> Butch,
>
> Included in your post about Bella Vista was the following: "This land is essentially not maintained at all and it [sic] on its own ecological trajectory." I would submit that is only partially true. I assume if a fire breaks out on this untended land there would be an effort to put it out as quickly as possible.
>
> We humans, wanting to create the natural world many want to live in, ignore the natural role of fire in the ecosystem. I think of the work by Joe Neal, Rob Doster and many others to ensure our endangered red-cockaded woodpeckers survive and thrive. Joe can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it RCW's thinned habitat requires fire to be part of nature's cycle to maintain a clear understory. In Bella Vista as in most other areas we humans have viewed fire as an undesirable part of nature.
>
> This is not to fault your post, merely to point out how we humans remake nature to our liking. Massive out-of-control fires in the western U.S., getting worse every year, prove that we humans aren't as smart as we give ourselves credit.
>
> From the deep woods just west of Little Rock,
> Barry Haas
>
> P.S. We too were down to a single B. oriole yesterday after enjoying large numbers- 10 to 12 at one time- since getting home April 29 from the Arkansas Audubon Society Spring Conference in Bentonville. That's a first for orioles both in numbers and length of stay in our 20 years here. And what I miss is Kim Smith being here to post some reference to B. oriole outbreaks in the past. Kim was good at helping educate us.

Join us on Facebook!