Date: 5/9/18 7:20 pm
From: Jeff Bilsky <jbilsky...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
Wasn't sure what to expect with the birding tonight with the rain showers
in the area, but with some patience and a few good pockets, I put together
a pretty solid list. FOY RED-EYED VIREO, INDIGO BUNTING, and SCARLET
TANAGER (f) were nice returns. Other highlights included a WILLOW/ALDER
type empid, a stunning CAPE MAY warbler, and 3 unexpected PINE SISKINS. The
longer I was there the better the birding got. A bit before sunset huge
flocks of warblers were zipping through the trees - seemed like a lot of
energy - perhaps a pre-migration rally of sorts. As I was in the picnic
area, I heard the back and forth call of a pair of GREAT HORNED OWLS coming
from the island across the water. Capturing photos is becoming increasingly
difficult as the trees leaf out, but I did get a few. View this checklist
online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45505198

Good Birding!

Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
May 9, 2018 5:43 PM - 8:01 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.24 mile(s)
65 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose 9
Wood Duck 1
Blue-winged Teal 3
Mallard 6
Great Blue Heron 6
Bald Eagle 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Killdeer 2
Spotted Sandpiper 12
Herring Gull 1
Great Horned Owl 2
Common Nighthawk 3
Chimney Swift 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 4
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 4
Warbling Vireo 3
Red-eyed Vireo 1