Date: 5/9/18 6:48 pm
From: Carol Morgan <crxmorgan...>
Subject: Harvey County birding
My husband, Kevin, was looking at my eBird map of Kansas and noted that
Harvey County was a plain, gray square with 0 birds, surrounded by counties
with lots of species counted. It looked funny, he said, and told me we
should go birding there to fill it in with some color. So we spent the day
in Harvey County hotspots and I succeeded in getting 75 species.

The Harvey County East Park had five Willets, as Gregg Friesen noted in a
post early this morning. We also found Lesser Yellowlegs, one Stilt
Sandpiper, one Red-headed Woodpecker, Purple Martins, Orchard and Baltimore
Orioles, and many other species there.

Next we went to the 14th Street Wetland area where a flock of about 3 dozen
White-faced Ibises flew in to please us. Canada geese with goslings, a
Wood Duck and a Great Egret were the best birds there.

Then we walked part of the Sand Creek Trail at Bethel College in Newton.
Wow, lots of species there including Summer Tanager, Am. Restart, Nashville
Warbler, Swainson's Thrush and more were found.

We next went to the Dyck Arboretum in Hesston but it didn't produce much.

Then south to Harvey County West Park where we found Downy Woodpecker,
House Wren, and Red-shouldered Hawk among others.

New species at Patterson Marsh were Wilson's Phalarope, Bell's Vireo and
American Pipit.

Next we went to West Lake. We were about to set up the scope to look at
sandpipers when a Peregrine Falcon swooped back and forth scattering
everything! I didn't really mind, it seemed like the best bird of the
day. We cruised by Greenfield Marsh but it was late in the afternoon and
we didn't see or hear anything there.

After finishing in Harvey County with 75 species, we drove to Hutchinson to
look for Burrowing Owls at the Walmart prairie dog town. We found one!
That's better than none.

Kevin and I had a quality day.

Carol Morgan
Topeka, Shawnee County