Date: 5/9/18 6:14 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [COBOL] South part of Deschutes county, Wednesday Birding, LARK SPARROW
Ten of us went south today. Birds were more active later in the morning
when it warmed a bit. Rosland CG and Day Use area is such great habitat
but it was pulling teeth to see birds. LARK SPARROW at the dam at
Wickiup was very cool, first in the road in front of us, flew up and
over the dike but heard by Courtney and we all watched it for a while,
singing from a small shrub. Eventually we were finding warblers etc.
Note locations by some of the birds if we only found them in single
spot. Also this is a group type trip so birds only make the list if 2
or more birders got them, have to help each other get on birds etc.
Thanks to Courtney again for ebirding and sharing lists. This list below
is full list from today, others may add to it if I missed any group trip
birds.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net

Rosland CG, Wickiup Dam, North Wickiup Boat launch, North Twin
and South Twin, Rock Creek, Osprey Point, Cow Camp, Sheridan burn near
Sunriver.

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Green-Winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Unknown Scaup - big sprawling distant flock
Bufflehead
Barrow's Goldeneye
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Common Loon - 1, breeding plumage, South Twin
Pied-billed Grebe - Crane Prairie, from Osprey point
Western Grebe
American White Pelican - Crane, from Cow Camp trail
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Unidentified Accipiter
Red-tailed Hawk
American Coot
Spotted Sandpiper
Common Snipe
Rock Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Vaux's Swift
Sapsucker sp - Mark will check his photo for a possble ID
Downy Woodpecker - Rosland, in willows
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Olive-sided Flycatcher - 1 Rock Creek
Pacific-slope Flycatcher - 1 Osprey Point trail
Unidentified Empidonax
Gray Jay - roadside, Cascade Lakes Hwy
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch
Marsh Wren
American Dipper - under bridge river to Crane P
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - Cow Camp
Mountain Bluebird - Sheridan burn
Townsend's Solitaire - Sheridan burn
American Robin
Cedar Waxwing - Rosland
Orange-crowned Warbler - Rosland, maybe elsewhere
Yellow Warbler, Best at North Twin
Yellow-rumped Warbler - most locations
Common Yellowthroat - Cow Camp
Wilson's Warbler - Rosland
Spotted Towhee - Rosland
Chipping Sparrow
Lark Sparrow - 1 at dam kiosk area at Wickup
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow - North Twin
Dark-eyed Junco
Black-headed Grosbeak - esp at Rosland
Red-winged Blackbird
Yellow-headed Blackbird - Wickiup and Osprey Point
Brewer's Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Sparrow
Total number of species seen: 77

Birders today, and a welcome to Megan Devlin visiting from Australia,
Jim Weishaupt, Mark Neudorfer, Evan Thomas, Mary Shivell, Susan Bertsch,
Mike Golden, Joel Tinsley, Courtney Jett, and Judy Meredith. Remember
for next week we will get dirty in a burn, so dig out those old or black
clothes. Good birding, Judy, <jmeredit...>