Date: 5/9/18 5:35 pm
From: Jerry McWilliams <0000001b5c226889-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Erie County, Presque Isle Hawk Watch for May 9, 2018

Unknown Raptor 1 8 11

Total: 612 1439 19246

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 13:45:00
Total observation time: 5.75 hours

Official Counter: Jerry McWilliams

Observers:

Visitors:
Since there was a nice fallout of birds last night, I was on my own today.
Birders were tramping the trails of Presque Isle to get close looks at the
numerous Passerines dripping from the trees rather than counting dots in
the sky at the hawk watch.

Weather:
Variably to partly cloudy with light SW wind early then occasional bursts
of north cool winds off the lake. Temps. reached the upper 70s

Raptor Observations:
A nice late passage of vultures with few raptors though there was a good
flight of Bald Eagles. Most birds were very high and at the limit of an 8X
binocular. First immature BWs today. Two late Rough-legged hawks were
unexpected. Highlight was what appeared to be a Mississippi Kite circling
very high overhead at 1122 DST. Later, after examining photos I took of
the bird it was not entirely consistent with Mississippi Kite. That is,
the tail seemed a bit short. However, the wings were long, bent at the
wrist, slender and bluntly pointed as it would be in Mississippi Kite. So,
I guess the identity of this one will remain a mystery bird.

Non-raptor Observations:
There was a decent movement of Passerines. Observed today were
Double-crested Cormorant--2, Blue Jay--214, Chimney Swift--3, Eastern
Kingbird--4, Barn Swallow--2, Bank Swallow--2, Cape May Warbler--1, Yellow
Warbler--1, Northern Parula--1, American Redstart--1, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak--1, Indigo Bunting--1, Bobolink--37, Baltimore Oriole--17, Purple
Finch--1, American Goldfinch--26, small Passerine--12

Predictions:
SW wind early with clouds then rain likely with a wind shift to the west
and much cooler than today. Maybe some birds before the front passes.

Jerry McWilliams
Erie, Erie County, Pa.
<jerrymcw...>

Join us on Facebook!