Date: 5/9/18 5:24 pm
From: Beverly Propen via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] CACC
5/9 Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center, 9:45-1PM, overcast, foggy
(fog lifted around noon), mid tide receding, 55-63F.
Female osprey was on the nest most of morning. First egg was laid today.
male osprey went on nest around 11:50am, while female took off for a bit.
Third osprey was soaring overhead, but no confrontations today.
The Center was busy with class visits and adult visitors. We had two
people from Wellefleet Audubon, who enjoyed the marsh, and invited us all
over there.
On marsh: Brant, 1 Yellow crowned night heron on far east side, 5 Snowy
egrets, 2 Great Egrets, 1 Least Sandpiper who was not deterred while the
class visit was right there on the marsh, 2 Mute swans, 3 Greater
Yellowlegs, 2 Common Terns fishing, 3 Semi-palmated Plovers, 6 Dunlin, 1
D.C. Cormorant, 1 Herring gull,
2 Greater Black backed gulls, 1 American Black duck and a mixed flock of
sandpipers .
On grounds- 2 House finches, 1 Cardinal, Common Grackles, Starlings, 1
Fish Crow, 1 Tree swallow, Robins nesting, Mourning doves nesting, 1 Song
sparrow and a conservative estimate of 22 Purple Martins who were really
vocal this morning. When I left at 1 PM-not a sound from them.
1 very hefty Woodchuck.
Bev Propen, Orange